Perlfect Solutions

[Perlfect-search] sending an HTTP charset header

Thu, 20 May 2004 11:48:10 -0400

On my site, I send real http headers to declare the charset in use
instead of the meta http-equiv hack. So for the search results page, I
made the following changes. First, I added a section to

# The charset (character encoding scheme) for your site.
# ** Note ** : this is important to make sure user-agents can
# properly encode characters in the search results page
$CHARSET = 'iso-8859-1';

And in, I replaced 2 instances of the "content-type" lines
with this line:

print "Content-Type: text/html; charset=", $CHARSET, "\n\n";

I thought I'd ask what the developer(s) thought of this. Is there
anything crucial that I've overlooked?

Also, in a comment on results page template, there's a note about the
importance of declaring a charset to prevent cross site attacks. How is
such an attack carried out, and how does the charset prevent it? Just
curious about that.