Perlfect Solutions

[Perlfect-search] Switching from .html to .php -- any potential problems?

webmaster perlfect-search@perlfect.com
Mon, 17 May 2004 11:28:02 -0400
Linda Antonsson wrote:

> I have yet to find a good tool for automatically generating a
> sitemap, and I change things around too often to have to do it
> manually each time. :)

Tsk tsk. You haven't poked around the Perlfect site much, have you?  :-p
I found this useful program from a link there.

http://www.danielnaber.de/tree/

It's a bit rough around the edges. I had to do some search and replace
to tidy up the code a bit. But it put together an inventory of 40 pages
in short time.

> The main problem I have is a section of 450+ files which aren't
> directly linked anywhere as they're opened via javascript popups,

Ugh. That'll be a big problem, because there's no way to index them via
http.

> and they'd make a sitemap far too huge to be much use as well.

Indeed. I created only about 40 pages for a restaurant site (see url in
sig). But even that is too much for a site map, so I created a simple
site map with 18 entries, showing a basic outline of the site.

http://www.tsmchughs.com/site/map

On the site map (and help page) is a link to the document inventory,
with 40 entries.

http://www.tsmchughs.com/site/inventory

--
webmaster/admin: