Perlfect Solutions

[Perlfect-search] Using Form METHOD=POST instead of GET

Maninder, Singh perlfect-search@perlfect.com
Sat, 24 Apr 2004 22:55:28 +0530
Hi Daniel,

I was wondering what would it take to use FORM METHOD=POST instead of GET?

<form action="/cgi-bin/perlfect/search/search.pl" method="POST">
        <input type="hidden" name="p" value="1" />
        <input type="hidden" name="lang" value="en" />
        <input type="hidden" name="include" value="" />
        <input type="hidden" name="exclude" value="" />
        <input type="hidden" name="penalty" value="0" />
        <select name="mode">
                <option value="all">Match ALL words</option>
                <option value="any">Match ANY word</option>
        </select>
        <input type="text" name="q" /><input type="submit" value="Search" />
</form>

The reason being that if I have a number of values in the exclude variable,
with form method=get, the url that gets formed will be very long. There are
browser restrictions as well. But, if I use POST then there will be no
problems. I tried using it and the search results display fine. But, when
you click on the "Next" text at the bottom of the page, the query string is
again generated that crashes the browser.

Could you please let me know if this would be possible?

Thank you,
Mandy.