Perlfect Solutions

[Perlfect-search] Adding feature FOO - WordPerfect Document indexing

Brenden Dawson perlfect-search@perlfect.com
15 Oct 2003 07:13:16 -0500
I'd like to thank the Perlfect folks for such a great search mechanism.

I worked out a FOO feature, and thought I'd pass it on to some of those
who may need it (using RedHat 7.3 and Apache 1.3.22).

I've added the ability to search WordPerfect documents... a feature
which was sorely needed by a client of mine due to prevailence of
WordPerfect in their industry.

Setup is similar to PDFs and DOCs:  It requires libwpd - tarballs, rpms
and dependencies available from http://libwpd.sourceforge.net.

conf.pl needs to be modified:
   @EXT requires the addition of "wpd" and/or "WPD" (depending on the
   case of the document extensions).

   %EXT_FILTER also needs the following:
      "wpd" => "/usr/bin/wpd2text FILENAME"
   An additional line should be added due to case sensitivity as
   with @EXT above.  Be sure to retain the comma deliminated nature of
   the %EXT_FILTER container as needed.

The web server also needs modified to handle WordPerfect documents.
Otherwise it will attempt to open .wpd's in the browser window in lieu
of saving the file or opening it with it's default application
(WordPerfect, etc).

The following worked for me (Apache 1.3.22):
   AddType application/x-wpd .wpd

The web server will need restarted, and the indexer.pl script will need
to be run again.

I don't claim to be an expert at this, so this mini-howto may contain
some unnecessary steps.  I'm only relating what worked for me.  YMMV.

If the FCC and Harvard have this capability, why not us, too?
Just my .02

--
Brenden Dawson
Twister Alley Microsystems