Perlfect Solutions

[Perlfect-search] drop-down menu indexing

Daniel Naber perlfect-search@perlfect.com
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 17:43:57 +0100
On Monday 13 January 2003 17:24, Scott Sevener wrote:

> Our site uses a simple drop-down menu / javascript combination for
> navigation through our archives and I already know that this script
> doesn't seem to get along with javascript very well.

No search engine can index javascript, because Javascript is mostly for
interactive elements, and the search robots don't trigger these elements.
The best solution in this case is to use a common list instead of the drop
down menu: a list has better usability (you see everything at once without
clicking in the list) and it works for people who have javascript disabled
(who currently cannot access these pages either).

If you absolutely want to stick with the menu: add a hidden section with
links like this: <div style="visibility:hidden"><a
href="link.html">1</a></div>