Perlfect Solutions

installing perlfect (db_file) on windows 2000 [was -> Re: [Perlfect-search] windows 2000 server - DB_FILE installation fails]

Sabaina Bukhari
Sun, 9 Feb 2003 23:06:20 -0800 (PST)

I have finally managed to install Perlfect Search on
my Win2K box *s|gh*.

Following are the steps I took to do so. I dont know
whether they correct or not, but they worked for me.

1. Perl 5.004 or higher is needed for Perlfect Search.
I downloaded and installed Perl, version:

perl, v5.6.1 built for MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
Binary build 633 provided by ActiveState Corp.
Built 21:33:05 Jun 17 2002

Perl was installed in H:\Perl.

2. As stated in the README file for Perlfect Search, I
tried to install DB_FILE but got the following errors:

PPM> install DB_FILE
Install package 'DB_FILE?' (y/N): y
Installing package 'DB_FILE'...
Error installing package 'DB_FILE': Read a PPD for
'DB_FILE', but it is not inte nded for this build of
Perl (MSWin32-x86-multi-thread)

Downloaded DB_File.ppd from:

I am duplicating it here, just for reference:

--- start DB_File.ppd ----
<SOFTPKG NAME="DB_File" VERSION="1,75,0,0">
        <ABSTRACT />
        <AUTHOR />
                <OS NAME="MSWin32" />
                <ARCHITECTURE NAME="MSWin32-x86-multi-thread" />
--- end DB_File.ppd ---

Now run the command:
ppm install db_file.ppd

Here is the output I received:

H:\remote>ppm install db_file.ppd
Installing package 'db_file.ppd'...
Bytes transferred: 101776
Installing H:\Perl\site\lib\auto\DB_File\
Installing H:\Perl\site\lib\auto\DB_File\DB_File.dll
Installing H:\Perl\site\lib\auto\DB_File\DB_File.exp
Installing H:\Perl\site\lib\auto\DB_File\DB_File.lib
Installing H:\Perl\site\lib\
Writing H:\Perl\site\lib\auto\DB_File\.packlist

Check to see if it was installed correctly:

H:\>ppm query db
DB_File [1.75]

The following URL can be seen for more information:

4. Now run the Perlfect Search to install it.

5. Here are some other URLS/Files that I had played
around with:

Sabaina Bukhari