Perlfect Solutions

[Perlfect-search] indexing PDF files by page?

Mike Scarborough perlfect-search@perlfect.com
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:06:25 -0500
Hello,

I'm sorry.  The larger problem I am trying to solve is this:  i have several large pages (such as http://uther.dlib.vt.edu/~mscarbor/MxAmWar/RW/RW24i2-16.htm), that contain many smaller articles.  I would like the user to be able to search, and jump to individual stories.  So, I planned to convert them to PDF (which has for some reason surprisingly shed KBs), roughly one per page.  Then have the individual pages indexed, and be able to provide an acrobat open command to jump to that page.

either that, or just break down the pages into hundreds of smaller pages, one article per page.  could anyone recommmend a method to do that?

--mike

Message: 2
To: perlfect-search@perlfect.com
Subject: Re: [Perlfect-search] indexing PDF files by page?
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 22:22:32 -0500
From: Jerrad Pierce <belg4mit@MIT.EDU>

What problem are you trying to solve here?
The PDF are likely to be larger than the HTML files...
IIRC Perlfect has a mechanism for highlighting the keywords on the page.
If not, this would not be too difficult to add (just create a CGI to
filter the page). In the process you could also add an anchor to the first
occurence of the term and jump to that.

http://partners.adobe.com/asn/acrobat/sdk/public/docs/PDFOpenParams.pdf

documents the PDF equivalent of an anchor, it seems to work in Acrobat Reader 5