Perlfect Solutions

[Perlfect-search] A few questions

Dave Filchak perlfect-search@perlfect.com
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 23:34:36 -0500
Sorry Daniel, I am not sure I understand you or perhaps I did not explain
myself well.

The hidden fields have to be lang and penaly and include and exclude do they
not? What I want, for instance, is a drop down menu filed that is called say
'audience' that has say 5 different audience types for its values. So let us
say the audience types are 'Clinical, Research, Policy, Knowledge,
Workplace'. So the user might enter 'back pain' in the search field (q) and
select 'Workplace' from the drop down menu and the search query now becomes
ideally 'back pain' + workplace.  I can't really change to hidden fields to
facilitate this can I?

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: perlfect-search-admin@perlfect.com
[mailto:perlfect-search-admin@perlfect.com]On Behalf Of Daniel Naber
Sent: April 3, 2003 3.35 PM
To: perlfect-search@perlfect.com
Subject: Re: [Perlfect-search] A few questions

On Thursday 03 April 2003 21:42, Dave Filchak wrote:

> 1. Can you create an advanced search form that includes a couple of drop
> down menus with predetermined keywords and audiences , that combine once
> selected with the free search box to form a complete search query
> string?

I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for, you can simply change the
hidden fields to be drop down menus.

> 2. Can you add to this advanced search form the ability for the user to
> choose how the information that is returned is sorted i.e. most
> relevant, last indexed, newest date etc.

You can get fresh documents at the top with a 'penalty' field in the form.
If that's not enough, it should be easy to change the sort function in
cast_template() in search.pl to work on the dates instead of the ranking.