Perlfect Solutions

[Perlfect-search] Synonyms?

John perlfect-search@perlfect.com
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 14:10:33 +0200 (CEST)
If a fuzzy search is indeed what you are after, as Jerrad Pierce is suggesting,
you might want to try to implement it the following way, which is not as
resource-intensive:

Whenever the user enters a non-existent term (which most misspellings turn out
to be) simply do a fuzzy search for similar terms to suggest to use instead,
without actually doing a search Eg:

"the term ..... does not occur anywhere in our pages and gave 0 hits. Did you
mean .... ?"

This should be fairly easy to implement, I think. Some time ago, I wrote a
small routine to do the fuzzy searching in the term list, but I haven't put it
to use yet.