Perlfect Solutions

[Perlfect-search] question on how a result is determined

Rusty Wilson rustyw007@yahoo.com
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 16:02:15 -0800 (PST)
--- Daniel Naber <daniel.naber@t-online.de> wrote:
> On Friday 05 April 2002 01:10, Rusty Wilson wrote:
>
> > This sounds like a test question, but the results i see aren't
> always
> > returned the way i expect - so I must be misunderstanding
> something...
>
> The number of occurences is relevant. If it's always 1, order should
> be:
>
> -document5
> -document2, document3, document4 (order not defined, see
>  http://perlfect.com/freescripts/search/faq.shtml#G9 )
> -document1
>
> Regards
>  Daniel

Thanks again! So, as a follow-up to this, and the previous question i
posted, what effect does "weight" have?

The faq says:
score = occurrences of word in this document * log (number of documents
/ number of documents containing this word)

if you have 2 documents and the word "foo" apears only *once* in each
document, but in one doc the "foo" appears in the body, and in the
other document "foo" appears in the title does that mean that for the
document where "foo" is in the title the "number of occurrences" is
multiplied by the "weight" (i.e. 5)?

Rusty