Perlfect Solutions

[Perlfect-search] perl warnings in CVS

Cameron Moore lists@toad.bitstreet.net
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 15:23:30 -0500
* daniel.naber@t-online.de [2001.10.26 14:07]:
> On Thursday 25 October 2001 21:55, you wrote:
>
> > I noticed that in CVS, perl is being called with the -w option.  This is
> > a must for development code, but I would suggest against packaging
> > perlfect search with that option enabled if you are considering doing
> > so.
>
> Well, the idea is simple: there just shouldn't be any warnings :-) If you
> find some, we should "fix" them or work around them instead of disabling
> the option.

I think you missed my point.  You are right that any warnings should be
fixed.  My point is that some things may change beyond the control of
the user (ie. the sysadmin upgrades from perl5 to perl6) that could
yield unwanted log messages because of a simple syntax change in the
parser.

My rule of thumb is that I turn on warnings until I put a script on a
production box.  At that point, I make sure no warnings are being issued
and then take the -w switch out.  You may want to suggest in the README
to take the -w option out once the script is tested and running
properly.

...that's my point.  :-)
--
Cameron Moore
[ How do you tell when you're out of invisible ink? ]