Perlfect Solutions

[Perlfect-search] Perlfect Search

will will@spanner.org
Wed, 30 May 2001 18:56:50 +0100
>On Wednesday 30 May 2001 00:27, you wrote:
>
>>  I have installed the Search.pl etc correctly (i think...) and it will
>>  index directories containing a small number of pages, but once I try to
>>  index the entire site it just stops at the 129 or 130th page and does
>>  not create any new data/ files. Is this a memory problem???
>
>Probably, here's a new FAQ about that (Giorgos, can you put that online,
>too, I just commited it?):
>

>How many pages can it handle?
>
>The latest version of Perlfect Search (v3.20) is capable of indexing sites
>with 1000+ documents easily.

i can testify to that: i've got two biggish sites using perlfect, as
well as several smaller ones. the largest has about 4000 big
documents, the next about 2000. in both cases they're a mixture of
html, xml and pdf, and it takes only a minute or five to index the
whole collection (by way of the filesystem).

both have dedicated servers, though. i've encountered other
situations where an isp cap of some sort on a virtual server has
meant that the indexer stops silently after only a few dozen files.
it's not necessarily memory, though: sometimes it looks like user
processes older than a certain period are killed.

will
--

pgpkey: http://www.spanner.org/keys/will.txt