Perlfect Solutions

[Perlfect-search] pdf search and other issues

Luis M Bernardo bernardo@OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Wed, 23 May 2001 11:06:14 -0700 (PDT)
Hello,
I installed perlfect-search yesterday. The installation went quite
smoothly and I had the system running very soon. However I have been
unable to index pdf files even though I think I did everything right: got
pdftotext and have it running (and pdftotext file.pdf - works), included
pdf in the list of file extensions to search and correctly defined
$PDFTOTEXT. But still it doesn't work.... Any suggestion of what might be
wrong?
Another issue: word (doc) files are indexed but the search results that
return doc files start with a binary string (garbage). Is there a way to
avoid that?
Lastly, the indexer works with powerpoint (ppt) files but it's very slow.
Is that normal?
Thanks,
Luis