Perlfect Solutions

[Perlfect-search] configuring no_index

Daniel Naber daniel.naber@t-online.de
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 01:50:16 +0200
On Tuesday 27 March 2001 22:23, you wrote:

> But I digress. I have installed the Perlfect Search on our NT hosting
> system for use on my company's intranet system. But it seems to be
> indexing subdirectories I don't want it to index.  I specified the root
> directories, but do I have to exaustively list EVERY SUB DIRECTORY I
> don't want it to index?  I mean... eek!

Here's the new/extended FAQ item about this topic (Giorgos, can you please
update the files on the server from CVS?)

How do I exclude directories/files from indexing?

Inside the installation directory there is a directory called conf and
inside it there's a file called no_index.txt containing the paths to all
directories or files that are excluded from the indexing. Add the
directories/files you want, and run the indexer again. You can use the *
wildcard with the usual meaning it has in UNIX or DOS/WINDOWS, i.e. to
exclude a complete directory use something like
/usr/local/httpd/htdocs/private/*

If you have several files with the same name that should be excluded no
matter in which directory they are use something like
/usr/local/httpd/htdocs/*private_file.html or
/usr/local/httpd/htdocs/*private_directory/* (assuming $DOCUMENT_ROOT =
'/usr/local/httpd/htdocs').

If you are using $HTTP_START_URL, meta tags for robots in the HTML files
will be checked, but a server-wide /robots.txt will be ignored. Remember
that Perlfect Search should only be used to index your own server, not
other people's server!

Tel. 05241-59371, Mobil 0170-4819674