Perlfect Solutions

[Perlfect-search] faster indexing?

giorgos zervas giorgos@perlfect.com
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 23:40:33 +0300
Hi all,

I would say, that even if incremental indexing makes indexing single
documents slower, it would overall prove a great performance gain especially
for people with large document collections, who add new documents often but
do not update the old ones.

Given that the incremental indexer would examine each document to see if it
has been modified since the last indexing(either by checking the
modification date, or by maintaning checksums) it would be trivial to add a
configuration variable to force the indexer to index each and every
document.

I started some work in the past on writing an incremental indexer, and I
would be happy to help - it has always been on my TODO list. However, it
would be ideal if someone else took care of the actual coding since my time
is extremely limited.

Of course, I fully appreciate daniel's proposal to keep the current script
clean since it has proved very robust and bug free. For that reason, I
suggest that we either distribute a patch, or branch a new version of
perlfect search. Once the incremental indexing proves as robust as the
current indexing process we will be able to merge the scripts.

That's all for now; whoever wishes to work on the incremental indexer let me
know.

Best regards,
Giorgos.