Perlfect Solutions

[Perlfect-search] Searching local files....

Dr. Andrew L. Blais onlymice@noho.com
Tue, 06 Feb 2001 17:24:26 -0500
Ok, I don't think that I was clean enough in my question. Here is what I
did. What did I do wrong?

My experimental directory is: /mnt/s2/tar.bz2/search/

I have 2 sub-directories here:

C-doc ( contains the C docs that I want to search )

and

search-3.10 ( the result of tar Ixvf search-3.10.tar.bz2 ).

So, I go to search-3.10, and I run:

> perl setup

Yes, I want to continue.

My operating system is RedHat-7.0, so I say unix.

perl is /usr/bin/perl.

If I intend to search local files, I figure that the base URL of my site
is /. Is that it?

Again, since I intend to search local files, and the only cgi-bin
directories that an updated locate finds are /var/www/cgi-bin and
/usr/cgi-bin, I figure that the URL of my cgi-bin directory is either
/var/www/cgi-bin or /usr/cgi-bin. Which, if either, is it for Netscape?

Since I want to search the files in /mnt/s2/tar.bz2/search/C-doc, I
figure that the directory of my site is /mnt/s2/tar.bz2/search/C-doc/.
Right? Wrong?

My cgi-bin directory is /var/www/cgi-bin. Where else?

Yes, I want to index htm, html and txt files. That's what's in C-doc.

Yes, test the indexer. Seems to work.

Yes, I try to register, but it seems to fail as is suggested by system
mail. Hint that something is wrong?

Now, I make search.html in C-doc. I put the following in it:

<FORM ACTION="/var/www/cgi-bin/perlfect/search/search.pl" METHOD="GET">
 <INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="lang" VALUE="en">
 <INPUT TYPE="text" NAME="q"><INPUT TYPE="submit" VALUE="Search">
</FORM>

I enter "printf", I get a warning about being "this" being an executable
perl script, and then nothing happens. So, what did I do wrong?

Thank you.

>>> Dr. Alb