Perlfect Solutions

[Perlfect-search] Scalability

DaveP davep@hmgcc.gov.uk
Fri, 02 Feb 2001 12:48:21 +0000
Daniel Naber wrote:

> On 2001-02-01 15:49, you wrote:
>
> > I've been experimenting with Perlfect Search on a subset of our
> > Intranet, with excellent results. However I've now downloaded the latest
> > CVS version (in the hope of clearing some minor issues), and I see there
> > is a hard-coded limit of 65534 documents now enforced.
>
> You could remove the limit (that's easy), but I doubt that Perlfect Search
> is fast enough for so many documents. Did you try >50,000 documents
> already? If that worked, I will mail you how to remove the limit.
>
> Regards
>  Daniel

Not yet. The full set of indexable files is actually 65,211 at present,
and I'll try that over the weekend.

Incidentally, have you considered indexing Word files? There is a
utility on FreshMeat called 'antiword' which converts Word files into
text in the same way as pdftotext does. I've linked (hacked!) it into
Perlfect Search and it works fine.

Regards

Dave