Perlfect Solutions

[Perlfect-search] File formats

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl@telemetry.co.uk
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 18:47:13 +0000
Hope this works- it's the first time I've used a mailing list.

> A way to index PDF files will be in the next version (and is on the
> patches page), you could also adapt it to use a Word2Ascii converter
> etc. For every MS format you need a converter that puts out ASCII
> and you have to adapt the script to call it.

I'm looking at things from a slightly different POV. I've modified the
indexer so that (amongst other things :-) it can handle files without
extensions, specifically so it can look at the numbered files in which
INN stores messages. I'm considering adding a facility to the searcher
so that if it finds a reference to a given directory it prefixes each
file with a given token- this would cause Apache or whatever to 404 the
file but the handler could itself call a script to rewrite the URL so it
is correctly read using NNTP.

There's nothing in the rule book that says that only one copy should be
run, and having one for static documentation and another for intranet
discussion group messages makes a lot of sense.

Where's the best place to discuss/submit change suggestions?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

[Opinions above are the author's, not those of his employers or
colleagues]