Perlfect Solutions

[Perlfect-search] Is it possible to have multiple copies of perlfect on the same site?

Daniel Naber daniel.naber@t-online.de
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 20:24:31 +0200
On Thursday 12 October 2000 19:13, you wrote:

> and I'd like to separate the search.  This may also help those on
> virtual servers who are getting their indexer.pl shut down by their
> hosts since it can break up indexing process into smaller chunks.

That's the same as just installing several copies of the script, it helps
memory usage but you loose the good ranking. If you need ranking (and you
do, everything else would make full text search unusable) you just have to
keep many things in memory, there's no way around that AFAIK (perhaps
Giorgos has an idea?). You could of course save every piece of information
to disk, but this makes indexing slow (i.e. very, very, very slow).

So the right way to address the problem is IMHO to have one big index and
possibly only search in subsets of this (and that's what's currently not
supported but could be added.)