Perlfect Solutions

[Perlfect-search] indexer.pl getting killed

Robin Gould robin@rdg.inuk.com
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 10:08:14 +0100
I've been running Perlfect Search (currently 3.09) since January 2000 - up
to a couple of months ago without problems. Indexer.pl is run by cron every
week, and the site has been developing slowly and is currently 400 pages of
.htm and .html (both of which are indexed.

Recently indexer has been killed by my ISP about half way through (varies).
According to them 'the problem is related to security and burden limits. It
means that your script is either using an very large amount of memory and/or
processor time.' and is killed to protect other users on the server.

The files in the data directory are tf at about 2.5Mb, df at 1.3Mb, and the
rest >1Mb. Every time it's killed I delete the _tmp files but that doesn't
seem to help. Running indexer via Telnet doesn't reveal anything - sometimes
it completes, sometimes it doesn't - and never gets killed at the same file.

I have stemming set to 0, number set to 0 - is there anything else I might
try to overcome this problem?

Robin