Perlfect Solutions

[Perlfect-search] PerlFect Indexing PDF files

Daniel Naber daniel.naber@t-online.de
Wed, 27 Dec 2000 17:23:13 +0100
On 2000-12-27 15:59, you wrote:

> I would like to know if Perlfect can index and search PDF files on a NT
> system and if yes, what are the steps in doing so?

beta 3.20 can do that. You need an pdf to text converter like "pdftotext",
which is part of xpdf. Just configure it in conf.pl's $PDFTOTEXT variable.

> I also want to know if Perlfect is able to perform access control?  For
> example, I would like for users of a certain type search certain folders
> and restrict them from being able to search other folders.

To make this secure, you'd need to either extend Perlfect Search to know
your users or put copies of Perlfect Seach in different sub directories in
cgi-bin, which are then protected by .htaccess files. In other words: no,
it's not supported anf I don't consider access control part of a search
engine.

regards

Tel. 05241-59371, Mobil 0170-4819674