Perlfect Solutions

[Perlfect-search] backwards?

Daniel Naber daniel.naber@t-online.de
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 14:16:24 +0100
On 2000-12-15 13:55, you wrote:

> ...in an attempt to retrieve just that one document, yields 677 hits.
> But searching only on the name of one of the authors, Kody Janney,
> yields only 41 hits. (She is mentioned in other docs besides this one.)

The search defaults to OR. The next version will default to AND.

> I've also tried quoting terms and separating them with commas, as well
> as using a plus sign or AND to make clear the Boolean intent, all with
> no change in the results.

+Jane +Sledge yields less results then Jane Sledge. Quotes are not
supported and will be ignored.

> Our site users are confused and rebellious and want me to find something
> that works. I can only conclude I've set it up wrong (though it's pretty
> much at its default settings). Any help you can offer will be
> appreciated.

You can fetch the not yet released version from
http://cvs.perlfect.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/search/

You can also copy only those parts from search.pl to your version that
make it default to AND (that's at
http://cvs.perlfect.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/search/search.pl.diff?r1=1.14&r2=1.15)

Tel. 05241-59371, Mobil 0170-4819674