Perlfect Solutions

[Perlfect-search] update the index?

giorgos giorgos@perlfect.com
Sat, 12 Aug 2000 10:27:06 +0300
Daniel Naber wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is it possible to add certain files to an existing index? With the current
> Perlfect Search it's not, I think, but is it generally possible, e.g.
> regarding the data structures used?

What you are thinking of is incremental indexing. This means that when
the indexer re-indexes a site it should only consider new or modified
documents. I have already built an incremental indexer but it runs on
mysql, a convenience which many people unfortunately lack. For the next
version of perlfect search i will concentrate of putting this feature in
as for larger collections of documents it is really painful to index the
whole thing every time.

The only disadvantage of incremental indexing is that you have to keep
all hashes stored between indexing operations so it requires a bit more
space...

best regards,
giorgos.