Perlfect Solutions

[Perlfect-search] Multi Keyword!

giorgos giorgos@perlfect.com
Thu, 03 Aug 2000 16:23:48 +0300
Daniel Naber wrote:

> On Don, 03 Aug 2000, you wrote:
>
> > including both word, or either word. However the document that include
> > both words will be ranked on the top of the list.
>
> That's not always the case, e.g. if you are searching for "cats dogs"
> and there's one document that has "cats" once in it, and "dogs" once in
> it, this will be ranked below a document that has "dogs" five times in it
> (and no "cats"). I'm preparing a patch so you can give "extra boost" for
> multiple word matches.

Actually you are right, what I said above may or may not hold. It
depends really.

However I am not sure about boosting certain searches manually.
Relevance scores are calculated using a mathematical formula which is
quite complicated and I am afraid that if we intervene manually without
thinking of the complications we may actually make the overall results a
bit less accurate than a bit more accurate....

I will get back on the subject with an exact desription of how the
results are calculated for those who don't want to dive into the code...
Perhaps I should even make this an article and put it on the webiste...

giorgos.